Saturday, March 20, 2010

My "Crafty" Idea

I often look through crafting blogs, drool over the projects and think to myself, "I should make one of those. I could do that!" But, I never do. My craft blog is full of other people's crafts and not my own.

So, I have come up with a great idea to remedy that situation. I call it "One CRAFTY Thing". One Crafty Thing (OCT) is a challenge to make ONE crafty thing every week and post it on the blog.

"That sounds fabulous, Jillian! I have a lot of projects that I never get to, too. I wish I could do something like that." Good, because I am challenging YOU to do the same thing! Every week do ONE CRAFTY THING and post it on your blog. Then we will have a 'linky party' at the end of the week to share the crafty thing we did.

"But, I don't always have time to do crafty things/I don't have the money to do that many projects/I have too much organizing & cleaning around my house that needs done to justify spending time to do a project/I'm not a crafty person. How can I participate?"

Well, I'm glad you asked. See, there is more than ONE definition to the word "crafty". Let's see what the good 'ole dictionary has to say...

Crafty : \Craft"y\ (kr?ft"?), a. [AS. cr?ftig.]

1. Relating to, or characterized by, craft or skill; dexterous. [Obs.] ``Crafty work.'' --Piers Plowman.

2. Possessing dexterity; skilled; skillful.

A noble crafty man of trees. --Wyclif.

So, you can demonstrate any way that you used some kind of skill, whether it be baking, organizing, doing a craft with your kids, folding the huge pile of laundry on your couch (unless that's just me who has one of those), sharing your talents with others, or finally mastering the perfect 'pat-head & rub-tummy at the same time' technique. Whatever it is, we want to see it!!

Oh, and I forgot to mention that there is a THIRD definition for crafty. It is:

3. Skillful at deceiving others; characterized by craft; cunning; wily. ``A pair of crafty knaves.'' --Shak.

With anxious care and crafty wiles. --J. Baillie.

Syn: Skillful; dexterous; cunning; artful; wily; sly; fraudulent; deceitful; subtle; shrewd

Now, I don't want to see a post about how you swindled someone out of 50 bucks or cheated at your weekly game of Canasta. Think more along the lines of "righteous craftiness". For example, you use your cunning wiles to find out your neighbor's favorite treat and leave it on their doorstep without a note, or sneak a love note into your hubby's wallet disguised as a $5 bill.

Won't this be fun?!?!

If you think so, leave a comment and we will get this crafty ball rollin'!!

Click HERE to view our most current linky party.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That is an excellent idea, but I'm not ready to make that big of a "craftmitment".

Hilary said...

Interesting... I will try, but I can't promise anything great.

cellosara said...

The clean laundry pile lives in the closet, and my crafty is cleaning up after the kids. Just kidding. I am making 3 Easter dresses this year. Gotta get crackin'!

Ashley Moore said...

ohhh can I play?